Leng, the Princess

This is my life story. Minutes and seconds my story (to borrow the lyrics from a well-loved song).

Thursday, October 28, 2004

BKK Hols: Day 3 - I'm a Babi Girl, in a Not So Babi World

Woke up with a start. What a nightmare.

I dreamt that this guy friend of mine (who loved to eat as much as I do) has turned into a vegetarian! Panic gripped my (still-empty) stomach, and as soon as Yunru woke up, I stammered my dream to her... hysteria threatens to overcome me at this point...I need to confess my deepest fears...

Her reply? A crisp "no more pork for you, girl!"

Now, that is what I call a national catastrophe. A calamity. A disaster unparalleled. Imagine, what is this world going to be like without char siew, bak chor mee and wan tan mee?!

A lazy, hazy saturday breakfast at the coffee house. Again, another conquest of the famed Chatuchak Bazaar, the size of 7 football fields and boasting a humidity level of Bangkok, Singapore and KL combined on their hottest days. It's like walking through a sweltering oven, packed with fellow shoppers eager to lay their hands on the best bargains.

Bought some souvenirs for family and self. We didn't manage to cover the whole market - we missed out on the more interesting sights such as the live animals market (plenty of puppies, kittens and other 2/4 legged creatures on sale here).

The shopping expedition ended on a sad note. Mary lost her mobile (she thinks the phone slipped out of her pocket, but it could be that a pickpocket had targetted her). Zach went off tracing the route of whereabouts they have visited and spoke to the police there. No news if they got it back. Oh dear.

Dinner at a nearby restaurant (some oddly named cafe called A & P at the IT Mall) which served great Thai and Western food at very reasonable prices. Everyone was pleased with what they ordered. Andrew was seen crunching merrily on pork lard (which was served as a side dish to his pork noodles and looked like a yellowing piece of keropok). My eyes began to glitter at the sight of pork... but decided to opt for something simple like seafood hor fun. The roast chicken with garlic and fried watercress salad won hands down as the best on the menu.

Back to Suan Lum and another round of shopping. The male/female/"indeterminate gender" performer was not on stage tonight. Was at a stall where this male proprietor was what one of the girls called a "comrade". He is clean-shaven and well-built, and his lover's photo (whom he had his arm draped possesively over his shoulder) was tacked on the shop's wall.

PS: Upon reflecting I now know why I dreamt that my friend turned into a vegetarian. The week of 14-17 Oct coincided with a "Eat Vegetarian" week, whereby Bangkok citizens were urged to give up their favorite meat (pork, beef, prawn bugs or croc) and go vege. Roadside stalls that supported this move planted a little yellow flag next to their carts - indicating that they have vegetarian dishes to choose from too.

Give me pork, or death, anytime.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home