Leng, the Princess

This is my life story. Minutes and seconds my story (to borrow the lyrics from a well-loved song).

Monday, July 25, 2005

Observations

I wonder if humans are generally shy, nonchalant, bochap or downright inconsiderate.

Last week, an obviously pregnant lady got on a packed rush hour train with a companion. There were plenty of people sitting down and not one of them gave up her seat. I was squashed near the door and from my cramped corner, I could observe if anyone would do the kind thing.

Why I said she's obviously pregnant was because her condition could not be mistaken as that of being plump. She had, for goodness' sake, a protruding tummy - her stomach stuck out inches in front of her. She looked super tired too, and cast a glance around her to check if anyone would give up a seat for her.

No one did.

Not the teenager who was reading a magazine. Nor the working guy who was dozing off, BUT opening and closing his eyes at times to survey his surroundings. Nor anyone else.

Finally someone did. That was after 15 minutes. By then, I could hear her sigh audibly as she sank into the seat with relief.

Finally getting some space as the carriage cleared, I moved further along the train. There was this lady with a pram and a writhing, cranky baby in her arms. She was trying her best to soothe him but nothing seems to work. The mother looked tired and at her wits' end as the baby began to wail.

There was a girl who was busy folding a piece of paper, oblivious to the wailing baby just next to her ear. I would have given anything for a pair of ear plugs. By now, the baby was going off like a wailing siren.

When the train pulled into Sengkang station, the girl just turned around and presented the baby with a paper crane that she had just finished folding. As she got out of the train and waved at the baby, a look of relief crossed the mother's face as her baby played with this new toy.

Silence reigned in the carriage again.

Somehow, I'm just so heartened by what the girl did, by reaching out to calm a fretful baby and giving the poor mum a break from the incessant wailing. It's so seldom that I see kindness that I'm beginning to wonder if kindness is as dead as the dodo sometimes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home