Leng, the Princess

This is my life story. Minutes and seconds my story (to borrow the lyrics from a well-loved song).

Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Deck the Halls...

For the 1st time in my life, I attended a formal SSO concert.

For jazz-loving me, classical music is a no-no. I've had enough of baroque when the Chorus was performing it non-stop and I was managing those horrendous concerts!

But since Grace says that it's a perennial favorite and tickets sell out in November, I thought I might as well give it a try. She said that the carolling sing-along was de rigeur... and lots of fun.

And I loved it!

What caught my eye when I stepped into the Esplanade Hall was the wonderful acoustic shells that embraced the "durian" roof of the Hall. Reaching upwards like the elegantly curved ribcage of a whale, it is designed to contain and amplify the tiniest sounds from the stage. The pipe organ (which I've read was really one of the best in the world) was obscured by a magnificent 20 ft Christmas tree that glittered with tinsel, lights and multi-coloured baubles. According to the programme booklet, it was decorated by famed jeweler Chopard and will remain there for the December concert season in the Hall. Dwarfed by the tree, the musicians looked like industrious black ants as they began to tune up. The ladies however, were dressed in Yuletide colors of red and green.

So what's my favorite instrument? I'm a fan of the cello and double-bass. At the "Dance of the Hours", they were seen plucking the strings delicately to give it a certain "oomph" effect, while pressing what I term as the equivalent of a fret board on the guitar.

The best part of the concert, I think, was when everybody (except Lim Yau the conductor), whipped out either a Santa hat, a pair of reindeer horns or a Christmassy hat and put it on before they started off on Hammond's lively Sleigh Bells. I was trying my best not to giggle when I saw the 1st double bassist trying desparately to adjust the horns on his head (which threatened to slip over his eyes), while he was busy fiddling on the instrument. In the end, he tied the horns round the double bass' neck... :)

Already I'm feeling rather Christmassy ... Fa la la la la la la la LA!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home