Leng, the Princess

This is my life story. Minutes and seconds my story (to borrow the lyrics from a well-loved song).

Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Stinging Sensation

Blame it on Sting for turning me into a 18 year old screaming groupie.

Went to a 1 night only Sting concert on 10 Jan, courtesy of Jo, who got it for me as a birthday gift. It was really a dream come true for me to watch him perform live. I wanted to watch him when I was in London last May, when he was touring and performing at Royal Albert Hall. Tickets were GBP 60 for the cheapest seats in the house. But that has to be scuttled. Ah well...

Freddie was saying that he had watched Sting perform live and boy, was he good (Sting, not Freddie I mean). From then on, I was harbouring a wish to attend his concert... Jo saw the one page ad and quickly booked tickets to the show as a gift.

When Sting came on stage, he was greeted with a deafening roar. It was sensational and awesome to see the entire Indoor Stadium filled up. Sting is a consummate performer and I simply marveled at his deft hand in commanding the stage and the audience. His voice is still as strong as ever, the songs, beautifully haunting, and the energy of his playing, absolutely sensational...

Right from the very first song, to the rousing Englishman in New York and Message in a Bottle , melancholic Fragile, cool guitar riffs in Brand New Day and Shape of My Heart, the audience got onto their feet. Dancing. Even me (whom I have 2 left feet). Jo was busy clapping and whistling and screaming his lungs out.

2 encores were of course, expected, as I shouted myself hoarse. Desert Rose and the perennial Every Breath You Take were next, sealing Sting's reputation as a rock rebel and proponent of world music. While detractors think that he has sold out his rock rebel roots by experimenting into R & B and using new instruments and arrangements such as tablas and Middle Eastern rhythms, I think it goes to show how inventive he could be. (Sorry lah... I'm a die-hard fan and see his music as good.)

When he closed the night with my favourite song, A Thousand Years, the lyrics echoed so soulfully, "Do you love me?"

Needless to say, he knew what the audience's answer was.






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home